Thursday, October 2, 2008

Best job in the world

I have never regretted being a stay-at-home-mom. No - slash that. Yes, I've regretted it. Moments. Moments when I grit my teeth and desperately want an 'out' - a chance to have grown-up conversations and not be The Responsible One (if I don't take out the trash, ain't no one gonna take out the trash). A chance to have something TANGIBLE to show for my labors - besides full tummies and smiley faces.

These moments are brief, but they're there.

But then I have other moments.

------------

Making dinner tonight was a crabby business. I was crabby cuz My Man was working late. Little Prince was crabby because he recently decided he doesn't need an afternoon nap anymore and his body was at its breaking point. Ouro Branco was crabby because dinner wasn't coming fast enough. Jellybean was crabby cuz everyone else was.

"Sesame Street Dance Songs" was playing quietly in the background, and on a whim I turned up "I Got a New Way to Walk." Great tune. Before the next whine could pop out of somebody's mouth, all of us were twirling and jamming around the kitchen, making up silly walks, giggling hysterically and bopping to the beat. Those are the moments to remember. Those are the moments to bottle up and put on the shelf, labeled "to be opened next time I consider a career."

Because I tell you, nothing - NOTHING - in the work world could ever make me as overflowingly happy as falling down on the tile laughing with my sweet boys.

2 comments:

Mommadj5 said...

LOVE those "moments" and you DO end up with something tangible eventually - LOOK AT YOU!!!! Love you bunches....

Rocketgirl said...

Okay, so you go days without blogging and then BAM all these entries and I can barely keep up with commenting - (I know I post more sporadically than you so no mocking here:) But this entry made my heart sing. I LOVE the part about bottling the moment of for future reference when you doubt your choice. You are without a doubt my number one mommy hero!!